Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:38:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, andre@pipeline.ch, Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software RAID-5 performance

On Wednesday, 15 July 1998 at 22:03:32 +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Greg Lehey wrote...
>> On Tuesday, 14 July 1998 at 20:05:16 +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>> 3.  As long as the disks didn't physically fail, rebuild the RAID-5
>>     set after rebooting.
>
> I don't think this solves it, as you don't know which block is up to date
> and which block is not. Or do I miss your point?

Well, you'd have to have some convention like writing the data block
before the parity block.  Then you could assume that if you found a
parity error, the parity block would be wrong, so you could fix it.
Of course, any other consistent assumption would work as well, but
having the parity block written last would mean you could bring up the
array read-only while you were rebuilding it.

Greg