Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:17:29 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSCTL .......

Your proposed datatstructures are very space-ineficient, but that
isn't a big deal in a VM environment.  (I come from the position
of writing mib agents for routers, where you don't generally have
VM.)

I think you are making a mistake by providing seperate operations
for "numoids" and "nameoids".  That is because you should also
be able to combine them.  E.G.:

  aaaa.3.5
  1.3.6.1.n.n.n.n.n.n.aaaa.3

I suggest you simply provide an oid parser that "does the right thing".
That is how I do it, and just about everyone else who parses oids does
it.

Also, if you are going to have a MIB, why isn't it built like "normal"
mibs are built, I.E. with an asn.1 description and a toolchain?  (I'm
asking that of the general FreeBSD crowd.)

Also, why not provide the famous "Awesome Get Bulk" operation?