Date:      	Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:07:05 -0400
From:      Rob Austein <sra@epilogue.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons keymap "us.emacs.kbd"

   Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:57:20 -0600
   From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>

   In message <19980731042314Z23162-213+60@thrintun.epilogue.com> Rob
   Austein writes:
   : The enclosed is a syscons keymap file, suitable for loading with
   : kbdcontrol.  It implements a varient on the standard US ASCII
   : keyboard; in particular, it turns the ALT keys into meta keys, and
   : makes a few other tweaks so that the keyboard will work nicely with
   : bash and emacs.  Or that's the theory, anyway, your milage may vary
   : radically if you didn't grow up with the MIT Chaosnet, ITS, SUPDUP,
   : and Lisp Machines....

   How does this differ from the us.unix.kbd that I checked in a while
   ago?

Other than being completely different, you mean :)?

Primarily the meta bit support (ALT key turns on the most significant
bit for most character codes, which isn't in the version of
us.unix.kbd that I just downloaded via cvsweb).  Secondarily, a
different set of remappings to the standard keyboard layout
(us.unix.kbd seems to remap a lot of the auxiliary keys, eg, it remaps
my escape key to be `~).

The easiest way to see all the differences is probably to load both
files into emacs and use M-x compare-windows.