Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 22:50:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Goodwin <ben@hamsterville.ultranet.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ben@poseidon.hamsterville.ultranet.com (Ben Goodwin)
Subject:   227R Networking problems

I've just built a 227R system.  I think I'm running into bugs, but I'm
not sure I have anything conclusive yet.
System:

CPU		PII 350
MB		Intel SE440BX
RAM		128MB PC100 SDRAM
DISK		SEAGATE 4GB UW SCSI
DC		Adaptec 2940UW
ETHER		Intel pro100B
VGA		Mach32-based

The ethernet is connected at 100meg full duplex.

Anyway, I installed 227R on in the other day.  I've noticed some serious
'net lag problems.  Same-logical-network connectivity pauses frequently.
Remote Xserving experiences it, telnet does, and so does ftp (horribly!).
I also noticed that a ping -f localhost was getting me all of 40 packets/
second.  Ouch!  I tried a ping binary from a 226R machine, and I got a
much more normal rate (ie 5000 packets/second).
I have other 226R machines that run w/out problems (I've tried the 227R
machine with an identical DE450 that the 226R machine has and uses w/out
problems).  I've tried all the various things to try when debugging
an issue like that.  At this point, I think it's either a bad
motherboard (unlikely) or a 227R problem.
I haven't figured out the 'net connectivity issue yet, but ping seems to
have a bug in it or perhaps the library it's using has a bug in it that
would explain the lag in all the other net-related programs or something..
I will probably be installing 226R to see if that fixes anything.

BTW, is this a known issue? :)

	-= Ben