Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 07:12:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        brandon@engulf.net (Brandon Lockhart)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Brandon Lockhart wrote:

>                                                          You can only have
> one operating system loaded at a single point in time (correct me if I am
> wrong).

You're wrong :) The IBM mainframe OS, MVS, will run several OS's on
the same machine, simultaneously. Each user gets his own OS.  This
is very cool...

It does this by presenting the user with a complete virutal machine
(registers, memory, IO devices, ...) on which the user can load
another operating system. or, for real sport, another copy of MVS
itself, which then would create virtual virtual machines for virtual
users...  Each user has a rather complete illusion that he is the
sole user of the machine.

Moreover, MVS runs like a bat out of hell.

Alas, multiuser interactive machines are obsolete.

MS-DOS isn't really an OS. It's a semi-adequate boot monitor.
(The boot rom of a Sun workstation is more complicated than MS-DOS.)

Dave
--
         Bedford County, PA -- 47,000 polite, friendly Appalachians,
                4,000 of whom have concealed-carry permits.