Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:39:24 -0400
From:      "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7680: New port of tn5250

> 	(1) userland programs (bitchx irc ncftp*...)
> 	(2) sysadmin programs (sniffit ntop mrt...)
> 		note: most of these are sysadmin simply because they use
> 		bpf0.
> 	(3) daemons (proftpd wide-dhcp socks5...)
> 	and maybe...
> 	(4) libraries

I've thought about a structure like this before, but then I quickly
dismissed it.  There are some ports that are both clients and servers
(i.e. isc-dhcp2 has a DHCP client and a DHCP server in it).  I think
that Satoshi's original idea of breaking it up into subcategories
would be better...

Here's a thought:

net-atalk: cap macipgw netatalk

(net-dir is Network Directory services)
net-dir: archie ascend-radius bind8 dnswalk gnu-finger hesiod ldap
	 nslint p5-Archie p5-Net-DNS p5-Net-Whois radius
	 radiusd-cistron tac_plus xarchie

(Ethernet related stuff)
net-enet: arpwatch choparp clog isc-dhcp isc-dhcp2

net-ftp: cftp ftpfind ftpsearch ftptool lftp llnlxftp moxftp ncftp
	 ncftp2 ncftp3 proftpd wu-ftpd yale-tftpd llnlxdir mirror omi
	 spegla

net-irc: bitchx bnc icb irc ircII ircd-hybrid-5 ircii-epic kirc sirc
	 tkirc zircon sic yagirc

net-mud: dgd dgd-lpmud dgd-net pmf tintin++ tinyfugue

net-ping: bing echoping fping

net-dialup: dip pppload slirp

net-misc: SSLtelnet am-utils bb cnet cvsup cvsup-bin cvsup-mirror
	  cvsupd-bin delegate dict freewais-sf fspclient gated gopher
	  icmpinfo ivs kdenetwork ksamba libsocket++ licq micq mpd
	  mpich mrt mrtg netcat netpipes nettest ntimelord ntop ntp
	  p5-Net p5-Net-Telnet p5-SNMP p5-pRPC pcnfsd ratoolset rdist6
	  ripetools rmsg rshell rsync rwhois samba scotty sendfile
	  sharity-light smbtcpdump sniffit socks5 strobe sup tcpshow
	  tcptrace telnetx traceroute trafshow ttt ucd-snmp vnc
	  vncjava wais wget wide-dhcp xicq xipmsg ytalk zebra zephyr
	  ztelnet

That breaks thought down a bit more...  Possible other categories:
net-nfs
net-telnet
net-libs
net-icq
net-time
net-samba
net-socks

However a lot of these categories are smaller...  Oh well.

Anyway, TTYL,
-Justin Seger-