Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 06:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realloc fix for review

> So rather than hack some really complicated a and na's, I write a new
> function, added it to libc and then modified all of src/lib to use
> this new function.  I called it frealloc (freeing realloc).  I added
> it to the man page, etc.  I know that this isn't in ANSI C nor in
> POSIX, but after seeing how hard it was to get people to use strncpy
> right, I thought it would be good to add this to libc.

As long as you are changing the code, how about adding a non-posix
header so that there is a well defined place to hang the implementation
on another system?

In my opinion, believing that a non-standard interface is needed
should dictate a non-standard header.  It adds an amount of damping
in adding non-posix things.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval