Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 14:59:09 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        dmb <nellie@home.com>, Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modems

In the last episode (Aug 23), dmb said:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Studded wrote:
> > Rick Knebel wrote:
> > > Are cable modems supported in freebsd.
> >
> > 	FreeBSD ignores the cable modem entirely, and treats it like
> > any old ethernet interface. So yes, it works just spiffy. :) If
> > your cable modem uses DHCP (most do) then you may find the
> > instructions at http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html useful.
>
> Well rr.com might use DHCP but @home network does not, not sure about
> mediaone.net.  It is quite simple actually just run sysinstall and
> configure your ethernet and resolv.conf there.  Make sure you have
> all appropriate information.

MediaOne does use DHCP, but according to their description of how their
setup works (MediaOne really needs to cut down on the Java/Javascript;
makes their site hard to navigate), they only reorg IP blocks when
necessary.  My guess is that once you allocate a particular IP, you'll
keep it for months. So for installation purposes, you can probably boot
up win95, get an IP, install FreeBSD using that IP, then install
wide-dhcp.

BTW, it looks like the reason that cablemodems are so blazing fast is
that they simply proxy everything.  Just about everything except telnet
is cached.

http://www.mediaone.com/express/central/twoway/how_it_works/diagram.html

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com