Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:14:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, joelh@gnu.org, dakott@alpha.delta.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542i Performance on -stable [was Re: SCSI Controller]

As Terry Lambert wrote...
> > > This goes for the 1742B, as well.
> >
> > There is no 1742B. Only a 174x and 174xA (x =[02] for (no)floppy interface).
> >
> > The 174x are all sensitive to using both internal and external cabling
> > at the same time. For our Alphaservers we simply made that an unsupported
> > config. In addition 174x are sensitive to which disks you use, some
> > simply don't work, primarily the newer/faster ones.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the 1742 controller in my machine with the 50MHz
> 486DX (*NOT* DX2), and on which I clock my EISA bus at 50MHz because
> the 1742B could handle it, where the 1742A could not, is a 1742B.

Hm. You might have a one-off prototype or whatever.

> I remember getting it at the time becayse it out performed a Pentium
> 66 clock doubled from 33 MHz because of the aditional 17MHz of memory
> and I/O bus speed; that, and Intel and AMD had both promised clock
> doubled DX2/100 *NOT* DX4/100) chips that would use the 50MHz bus
> in this ASUS motherboard.
>
> I'm also pretty sure the "B" comes from the EISA configuration capability
> that I had to read the serial number to the Adaptec people so they could
> tell me if the card supported it, whereby I was able to configure a
> non-standard translation mode to support larger drives than would otherwise
> be possible on a 1742/1742A.

You could check the EISA config string, a 1740 is an ADP0000 and a
1740A is a ADP0001 if I remember well. For the 1740 there are multiple
sets of firmware/BIOS around, the newer ones have different translations
so you can acommodate a big drive.

Wilko