Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Georgiana S. Trigg" <gtrigg@rocketmail.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD/COMPAQ COMPATIBILITY

Hello Greg,

---Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> OK.  This still sounds a bit vague, but I
think you're saying "Will
> FreeBSD run on Compaq?".  If so, the answer is
a qualified "yes".
> I've heard of a number of problems, but most
times it works fine.

I was hoping actually that someone out there
could say "Oh, yeah.  I installed it to my
Compaq and had this problem or that problem."
Or "I installed it...  It works fine."

> Well, Windows products don't work well,
period.

Yeesh!  Tell me about it!  I want a UNIX box!  :-(

If they're doing
> particularly badly on your machine, you might
have problems which
> affect operating systems, such as FreeBSD, as
well.  It's probably
> worth your while to mention what machine you
have, and what the
> problems with Microsoft are.

If you instist... :-)  I have a 4764 model.
I've had it for 18 mo.s or so.  It has 166 MHz
processor, 32 MB RAM, and a 2.5GB HD, just to
name a few things.  I'm going to have to yank
off the case cover and probe and dig to get more
specific.  Compaq's documentation leaves
something to be desired.

I believe the machine must have come with Ver. A
of '95.  I've seen more freezes, blue screens,
and illegal operations than any one human being
should.  I completely reformatted my hard drive
before I did a full install of '98.  The major
problem with that was it wouldn't pick up my
internal modem on COM2.  There were no jumpers
to reset on the modem/sound card, and even after
applying a patch from the Compaq site, I STILL
can't get into the set-up.  I considered
detaching the HD to boot directly into BIOS, but
totally detaching your HD is just BEGGING for
misery sometimes...  I'm running an external
modem I borrowed from work on COM1, and I REALLY
don't want to go out and buy an external to try
to patch up that problem.

Now it works okay, but it will do weird
things...  My icons on my bar at the bottom
right of the screen will all disappear except
the volume icon and I have to reboot.  After I
tell it to reboot (yes, I hit Start, Shut Down,
Reboot), I still have to do 2 Ctrl-Alt-Dels to
get it to finish.  Everything disappears but the
wallpaper and it hangs.

My warranty is up, and even before it ran out,
Compaq tech support was USELESS.  Any time I had
a problem, their solution was simply to blame it
on the last piece of software I had installed.
*sigh*

My last-ditch effort will be quick-restoring my
hard drive and upgrading the Win '95.  It's very
possible that Win '98 just DOES NOT like my
hardware.  It's probably pretty cheap stuff,
anyways.  I'm sure my internal modem isn't the
best on the market, especially since it's one of
those modem+soundcard in one wonders...

Needless to say, I am going to BUILD my next box
and make it generic as possible!

Regards and thanks,

Georgiana