Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:51:45 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), don@calis.BlackSun.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> > I guess that depends on what counts as escalation.  There's a tradeoff
> > between how much you're willing to risk vs. how much work you're
> > willing to do to avoid it.  As I mentioned, I'm fairly certain that
> > Bill mentioned in his announcement about the xl driver that it replaced
> > the vx driver for the hardware it supports.
>
> As I mentioned in mail to Bill, I subscribe to and read the -stable
> mailing list.  Nothing in it jumped out and said, "after Aug 24, if you
> build a new kernel your existing network interface will quit working."
>
> As you pointed out in earler e-mail, PCI device drivers imply a
> mutual exclusion, which means the upgrade was not optional.
>
> I'm probably thick, but I claim that was not obvious to a
> more-than-casual user.

No - I think I've not managed to make the point I was trying to, which
was that no matter *how* hard you try, people will still not pay
attention to things.  In this case, it may not have terribly obvious,
in others it's been both worse and better.  The current situation is a
tradeoff, one that keeps the obligations on our voluteer developers
down, and balances that with a nominal but non-zero workload supporting
people that have missed/not understood/ignored things.

The flipside of this is that because we don't have the structure or
support in place to produce formalised "heads up" documentation, the
user community has to be willing to tolerate a certain degree of
surprise.

I'm sorry if I managed to accuse you of being thick; that wasn't part
of the plan. 8(