Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 03:45:51 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pipeline behaviour - changed?

Hi.

I recently had a problem installing the latest netscape communicator
port - the session just sat there, with 'yes' chewing up processor time.

The port makefile contains this:

        cd ${WRKSRC} && yes "" | \
	    LC_TIME=C MOZILLA_HOME="${NDIR}" ./ns-install

This sort of construct:

	#!/bin/sh
	yes | head -2

No longer exits when the head finishes. Anybody else seeing this sort
of thing with a current 3.0-CURRENT? If so, we might be in for a lot of
complaints when people start installing netscape.

For what it is worth, the shell you use doesn't seem to make any
diffence - I've tried sh, bash, ksh and tcsh.

--
Adrian Wontroba, Stade Computers Limited.       phone:  (+44) 121 681 6677
Mail info@accu.org for information about the Association of C and C++ Users