Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 07:15:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, reilly@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF binaries size

> > I think it implies that elf wastes a full page of memory (the space
> > between the ':'s above) most of the time (unless the ':'s are on a
> > page boundary), while aout only wastes an average of half a page
> > (the space between the text ':' and the end of the page).
>
> But a.out has a repeat of the same situation at the juncture of data
> and bss, and ELF does not.

In the disk image rather than in the memory image.

I think Bruce is mistaking the dual mapping for a single mapping,
on the theory that in a unified VM and buffer cache, there can be
only one instance of a page hung off the VP.

Bruce should look at the ELF (and COFF) loaders.

> It's moot on the i386, if I remember correctly.  Doesn't execute
> permission imply read permission on the i386?
>
> Also, how does it enhance security to prevent a program from reading
> its own text segment?  If a program doesn't want to read its text
> segment then it should simply ... not read it. :-)

Good reason to not use an Intel processor...

Consider the case of a program of permission --x--x--x...

This "security through obscurity" is bogus, in any case.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.