Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 02:00:56 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Creating a vn filesystem (fwd)

>When I try the commands below (which apparently work on 2.2.6) I get the
>following error:
>
>[morden|root] 23:03 ~ disklabel /dev/rvn1 | disklabel -R -r vn1 /dev/stdin
>disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>sector size 0

Labels are apparently not configured for the vn1 device.

>The following works for me on 2.2.6R:
>
>dd if=/dev/zero of=vn0.file bs=1m count=200
>vnconfig -c /dev/vn0 vn0.file
>disklabel /dev/rvn0 | disklabel -R -r vn0 /dev/stdin
>disklabel -r -e vn0
>newfs /dev/rvn0a

It shouldn't have worked, because the vnconfig command doesn't enable
labels ("-s labels" option), and labels should be disabled by default.
The set/reset vnconfig options are sticky, so the above should work if
a previous vnconfig enabled labels; the only other thing it does wrong
is invoke vnconfig on the buffered device.

Bruce