Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:31:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "make release", eBones, and ctm-cvs-cur

I'm missing something about how to "make release." My local CVS
repository is created from the files mirrored at
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/cvs-cur and is clearly lacking
eBones. Don't think I really need eBones as md5 passwords are fine.

The following are in my .cshrc so I don't forget and don't have to
manually edit /usr/src/release/Makefile:

setenv  CHROOTDIR       /usr2/release
setenv  BUILDNAME       2.2.7-dmk
setenv  CVSROOT         /home/ncvs/
setenv  RELEASETAG      RELENG_2_2

"make release" breaks 15 hours later at:
===> usr.sbin/kstash
/usr/obj/usr/src/kerberosIV/usr.sbin/kstash created for /usr/src/kerberosIV/usr.sbin/kstash
===> include
===> lib
===> lib/libroken
make: don't know how to make k_getpwuid.c. Stop
*** Error code 2

Guessing Kerberos needs DES and studying the Makefile I've added:

setenv  NOKERBEROS      yes

Then 18 hours later it breaks when trying to copy something into a des
directory which doesn't exist. OK, I don't have eBones, such wasn't
totally unexpected.

In short, "How the heck does one 'make release' without eBones?"

Giving up on that, we can change the question to, "How do I merge eBones
into my CVS repository and not mess up updates via CTM?"

The final fallback would be to use cvsup to update my CVS but gave up on
that in the past as I can't get thru the company firewall. Is there a
cvsup server running on a telnet, http, https, ftp, or other common port
that I might use?

On my home machine I don't have this problem as I can run cvsup from
there and include eBones.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com