Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 06:15:43 PDT
From:      "N. N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>
To:        netadmin@fastnet.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question probably relevant to IPFW

>Just read through your e-mail again and what your experiencing
>is *EXACTLY* the same as what I am.
>
>The home server was rebooting every so often, tended to be
>early in the morning (about 2am) or in the event 6-7pm.
>
>There was no exact pattern to reboots (which led me
>to believe it was either a DoS or a hardware failure)
>and so I rebuilt the machine from completely different
>components, upgraded BSD to the latest version (went
>from 2.2.1 -> 2.2.6) and thought it was all working
>fine. A few days later it started doing the same thing
>and still does it although not as often.
>
>If I get chance, I'll put a packet sniffer on the network
>(it's not that simple to do as everything is going through a
>switch).
>

>Regards,
>
>Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>

Hi,

Did you have IPFW active on that machine? It seems to be relevant
directly to IPFW and packet filtering, because as I said before, the
other FreeBSD with the same configuration hasn't been rebooted after it
hadn't to filter the packets.

Another point: it is rebooted just at 2 am and it follows from a
semi-routine timing. Being rebooted once in almost 2-3 days: Friday,
Monday, Wednesday and the other week: Friday, Sunday, Tuesday!
I have a line in /var/cron/log file as follow:

.....[the time of reboot, 2.05 am] ... cron [8923] : (CRON) STARTUP
(fork ok)

Does anybody think that it might lead me to something?

Thanks everyone who replied (and will reply!) me!
(-: