Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:58:29 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   system hangs with soft updates

I've been trying out the soft updates stuff, but my system seems to
hang when I use it. What I've done:

. linked the sources into /sys/ufs/ffs
. added `options SOFTUPDATES' to /sys/i386/conf/SCIENTIA
. config SCIENTIA
. cd /sys/compile/SCIENTIA ; make depend ; make
. cp kernel /kernel.soft

Then I boot in single user mode from that kernel, do `tunefs -n enable
/tmp ; mount /tmp', and when stuff is written to /tmp, the system just
hangs a short while later and doesn't respond to anything (except
Alt-F[123], but since I can't log in to those terminals, that isn't
much help).

eg, I did

cd /tmp
cp -Rp /etc .

which worked fine, with practically no disk access, but then the disk
light came on, stayed on, and I had to resort to that annoying little
reset button. At least if the damn thing would crash it might give
people some clues as to what the problem is...

Is there some step I've missed? Has anyone else experienced similar
problems? Is rebuilding the world likely to help?

--
Ben Smithurst : ben@scientia.demon.co.uk : http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/

PGP: 0x99392F7D - 3D 89 87 42 CE CA 93 4C  68 32 0E D5 36 05 3D 16
     http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/ben/pgp-key.html (or use keyservers)