Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:25:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), phk@critter.freebsd.dk, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> > > Whether this means you use the tool that BSD intends you use (mtree),
> > > or whether you reorder the contents of the archive, is really
> > > irrelevent.  The point is we know *what* to do, and it doesn't
> > > matter *how* it gets done.
> >
> > This is stupid; you are suggesting we force the application to optimise
> > for the filesystem it's running on?
> >
> > I'd have to compare this with rectal insertion of the cart into the
> > horse.
>
> That's a McCarthy "or", like "||".  If the first expression ("use mtree")
> evaluates to true, then you don't have to "force the application to
> optimise for the filesystem it's running on".

Yeah, great.  Let's just "optimise", say, INN to call mtree.  And CVS.
And cp, mv and friends.

Crap.  The job of the filesystem is to provide optimal performance for
typical application usage.  Why do you think UFS already has
behavioural tweaks for small files?  Do you want to modify applications
so they never create small files?

You're pushing the application/filesystem boundary in the wrong
direction, and your Clydesdale has a sore rear.