Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:57:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make world' dying in sbin/atm/atm

According to John Birrell:
> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > >My world build (make -DNOAOUT -DNOCLEAN world, /usr/obj clean, fairly
>                                      ^
> The problem here is -----------------+
>
> People mistakenly believe that they can use -DNOCLEAN if /usr/obj is
> clean. That is not so. The build behaves differently. I would prefer
> the build to test if the objdir is clean and not do the recursive
> clean.

Definitely! I mean, why on earth is the make world doing a recursive clean
of an empty directory? That always comfused me. At every directory that
will be cleaned, the make should check if the directory is empty, and if it
is, stop the recursion down that path. So if /usr/obj is empty it would
do nothing.

Would anyone care to fix that or should I look into it?
Is there a problem with fixing it?
How do you detect if the directory is empty in a nice way?
What is the question to 42?  etc...

  /Mikael