Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 dependency and sysinstall

 * I appreciate the desire for this, but the reason I also haven't done
 * this yet stems from the fact that turning an arbitrary tarball into a
 * "package" requires that you contrive a fair amount of data.  Sure, the
 * bulk of the PLIST is just a `tar tf ..' away, but then there's the
 * description information and the dependency list and all the other
 * metainfo which makes a package a lot more than just a tar file.

There won't be any dependency away from XFree86 (just into it), so
that's not a problem.  As for description information, you can just
put "X Window System" in +COMMENT and +DESC, I don't think anyone will
complain it's too short or anything. :>

 * I'm torn between some shell script which automagically gets run by
 * sysinstall after extracting an X distribution tarball (yay, yet
 * another special-case) or just making the X tarballs packages in the
 * first place, taking what the XFree86 project gives us and then doing
 * an extra conversion step.

Either way is fine.

 * 			      For that matter, we could also build the
 * packages ourselves from the x11/XFree86 port - wouldn't that be just
 * nifty (and a good deal less "astonishing" than the alternatives).  But
 * jmz is the MAINTAINER of that port, you see, so if I push that
 * suggestion really hard you'll only come back and accuse me of trying
 * to get off the hook. :-)

Not really, but that port is not really suited for this -- x11/XFree86
is an interactive port that you answer a bunch of questions to have it
compile exactly what you want, while the stuff we get from XFree86 are
a collection of tarballs from which the user picks what s/he wants.
Unless someone volunteers to break the XFree86 port into the two dozen
or so mini-ports that builds only part of the tree, they are not
really interchangable.

Satoshi