Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        imp@village.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOCKS port inspires question...

 * Fix "runsocks" to use an absolute pathname in LD_PRELOAD, i.e.,
 * "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libsocks5_sh.so".  This handles all the
 * cases that we purport to support, namely:
 *
 * 1. On a -2.2 system, everything is a.out and the libraries are in
 * /usr/local/lib.
 *
 * 2. On a -current system whose ports haven't been converted to ELF
 * yet, all ports are supposed to be a.out and the libraries are in
 * /usr/local/lib.
 *
 * 3. On a -current system whose ports _have_ been converted to ELF, we
 * don't support building new a.out ports.  (We only support _using_
 * the old ones.)  When you build the new port, it will be ELF and its
 * libraries will again be in /usr/lib.

Well, but this is sort of a special case, as it actually enables you
to *run* other a.out and ELF binaries on a -current system.  So you
can't really compile this under a.out or ELF and be happy, you may
need something that supports both.

I think it is reasonable to try to make it deal with both formats.
As I said before, I don't think it's necessary to have one package
include support for both formats, but having some smarts in the
scripts so it will handle both if a.out and ELF packages are installed
shouldn't be that hard.

Of course, all this depends on time and availability of Warner. :)

 * Regarding the name of the library, when Satoshi said it should have
 * a version number I don't think he realized that it is like a shared
 * object that's explicitly loaded with dlopen().  I don't think it
 * should have a version number.

You're right about that.

Satoshi