Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:43:55 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: has anyone been able to make maildrop work with a recent 2.2-SNAP?

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 10:24:33AM -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> I've had maildrop (same idea as procmail, but more flexible) working on a
> 2.2.7-RELEASE box, which I then upgraded to 2.2.7-19980828-SNAP.  Now,
> when I try to run maildrop, it sits there for about 5 minutes and exits
> with the message "maildrop: Timeout quota exceeded."  It's in C++ and I
> haven't had the time to trace out where it's having the problem, but I
> suspect that it's some subtle problem with file locking, either a bug in
> maildrop that didn't trigger with -RELEASE, or an actual change in
> semantics in -STABLE.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/5799/maildrop.README.html
> compiled without dotlocking.
>
> I also tried 2.2.7-19981004-SNAP with no improvement.

I've used maildrop versions .54, .54b, and .55 on two 2.2.7-STABLE machines,
one stable as of August 16 and the other as of September 4. I've never had any
problems with it at all. For the most part I accepted the default
configuration, except for the location of the mailboxes (mine are in the home
directories).

Have you tried downloading the most recent version (released yesterday) and
compiling it? If you do, note that there are a couple of extra steps required
(make autoconf.h and make config.h after ./configure). Also, it appears that
recent versions may require gmake instead of make. .55 seems to work with make,
but .54x nneded gmake.

Chris