Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:41:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        dan@dpcsys.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qpopper

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Doug Jolley wrote:
> As a precaution, I have two hard drives.  Each drive contains
> a bootable root file system, a /var filesystem, and a /usr
> filesystem.  At night a cron job updates files on the secondary
> drive from the primary drive.  The system is a mail server
> running qpopper.  I have discovered that when I mount the root
> filesystem from the secondary drive and the /var and /usr
> filesystems from the primary drive Eudora (when running on a
> workstation) complains that it can't open the temp file.
> The problem seems to be related to the /var filesystem
> because it goes away when I mount the /var filesystem from
> the secondary drive instead of the primary.  Does anyone
> know what temp file Eudora could be talking about.  Thanks

>/var/mail/.username

Oh.  Thanks a batch.

>What steps are you using when mounting drives in the scenario
>that doesn't work?

Not to paraphrase any politicians or anything; but, I'm really
glad you asked me that question.  I was doing the change in
mounting by changing the /etc/fstab file and re-booting.  That
was beacause, much to my surprise, I found that I couldn't
umount either the /var or /usr file systems (or both, I don't
remember).  I would get a "device busy" error.  I usually
associate that particular error with being logged into the
filesystem that I'm trying to umount; but, I wasn't.  I was
logged into the / filesystem.  What I wanted to do was to
interactively umount the existing /var and /usr filesystems
and then interactively mount the corresponding file systems
from the primary drive.  I'd love to know why I couldn't
umount those file systems.

Thanks for the help.

     ... doug