Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:44:40 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        insane@oneinsane.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: System will not Complete Shutdown

>I Just built a new box that I am going to make sorta a
>Firewall/Gateway box. Here is the dmesg output.
[...]
>The system works fine untill I issue a shutdown -r now or reboot.
>The system appears to shutdown untill This is the last thing on the screen.
>
>Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown.

The message has confused so many people in the past.  I think we
should change it to something more accurate and understandable...

This message has NOTHING to do with the keyboard.  It is saying that
the kernel has failed to reset the CPU via the keyboard CONTROLLER on
the motherboard.

You always have a keyboard controller on the motherboard even if you
don't have a keyboard attached to it.

For reasons unintelligible to me, IBM decided to put the CPU reset
circuit wired to the keyboard controller in the IBM AT computer.  You
are supposed to instruct the keyboard controller to reset the CPU when
you want to restart the system.

Unfortunately, the keyboard controller is one of peripheral chips which
often have subtle compatibility problems.  The FreeBSD kernel talks to
the keyboard controller in order to reboot the system.  If it finds
the reset didn't work, it prints the above message.

Please add the following option to your kernel configuration file,
rebuild the kernel, and see if it works.

options "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET"

Again this option name is confusing.  It has NOTHING to do with
resetting the keyboard.  It is about resetting the CPU via the
keyboard controller....

>When the above error message appears this is where a normal system would
>restart.
>This server will not have a keyboard so the BIOS is configured to not halt
>on the error when it can not find the keyboard.
>
>Any info on helping figure this out and get it resolved would be greatly
>appreciated.
>TIA
>Ron

Kazu