Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:38:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugger("bt742a")?

On Saturday, 24 October 1998 at 13:18:12 -0400, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> I've been having a problem reading data off a tape drive.  I run X, and the
> tape would read for a while and eventually the machine would simply hang and
> I could not change virtual consoles or do anything to find the problem.
>
> I tried reading the tape on another machine.  Once it worked, two other
> times I had the same problem.
>
> So I tried it again, but this time I did the restore from the vt0 instead
> of in X.  I noticed the kernel was dropping in to the debugger, with a
> "tag" of bt742a.
>
> What's the real problem here, and what can be done to fix it?

UTSL:

$  find /usr/src/sys/ -name "*.c" | xargs grep bt742a
/usr/src/sys/i386/scsi/bt.c: * Note: bt742a/747[s|d]/757/946/445s will return 'E'
/usr/src/sys/i386/scsi/bt.c:    u_char  id[4];          /* i.e bt742a -> '7','4','2','A'  */
/usr/src/sys/i386/scsi/bt.c:            Debugger("bt742a");

Looking in that file, we find:

	/*
	 * If the ccb's mbx is not free, then the board has gone Far East?
	 */
	if (bt_ccb_phys_kv(bt, ccb->mbx->ccb_addr) == ccb &&
	    ccb->mbx->cmd != BT_MBO_FREE) {
		printf("bt%d: not taking commands!\n", unit);
		Debugger("bt742a");
	}

In other words, you should have got an error message "bt0: not taking
commands".  Did you?

I seem to remember having troubles reading tapes with a Buslogic
controller years ago.  In this case (BSDI machine), the SCSI subsystem
just hung, reminding me every 30 seconds that it was hanging.  It
could be a Buslogic problem.  Do you have machines with other
controllers which you could try?   You might also see if it works with
the CAM drivers under 3.0.

Greg