Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:04:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dump error

  Has anyone else seen this type err from dump:

    DUMP: 64.00% done, finished in 0:30
    DUMP: write error 236530 blocks into volume 1
    DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
    DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

    This is the first time that this cron'd backup of /pub
    and /home failed with dump, and it happened to be
    co-incident with my cvsup upgrade to 2.2.7.

    Last night I removed the StarOffice installation in
    my /home/kline directory and reran the script.  It
    still aborted.  Tonight I removed a few coredump files
    and used tar successfully.  Thereafter I ran the dump
    script again and it succeeded.  Around 100K blocks.

    Should I be looking out for a bad tape; is my drive
    (Archive 250MB qic ) going south; or was it simply
    overful??

    The fopen() error is _way_ confusing!

    thanks for any insight here,

    gary