Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:17:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        netmonger@genesis.ispace.com (Drew Baxter)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, grog@lemis.com, wes@softweyr.com, scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, licia@o-o.org, jcwells@u.washington.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

> HP/UX and Solaris.. How many people are running that at home? I run Solaris
> here, but I'm not running HP/UX and never intend to..  Linux probably has a
> larger single-user base than those two combined.

That's irrelevent.  The porting effort for one UNIX vs. another is
miniscule compared to what it must have taken to get it onto UNIX
from Windows in the first place.

> I'm still trying to fathom why Netscape servers (and Microsoft IE, if we're
> going to jaunt down that road) are not ported to FreeBSD, Linux, etc.

I think you mean IIS...

> After all, the operating system (to build/test ports) is obtainable at a
> convenient cost of 0$, I'd imagine the BSDI version (which there are also
> slim ports of as well) would port rather well to FreeBSD..

Why port?  The BSDI versions of the servers already run on FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.