Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:54:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de (Stefan Eggers)
Cc:        bf20761@binghamton.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: How sync() gets called every 30 seconds?

> > Hi, Can anyone tell me where in the source code the sync() (in
> > vfs_syscalls.c) is set up to be called every 30 seconds?
>
> In vfs_subr.c with a SYSINIT_KT() and an associated struct.  This
> creates a process which consists of sched_sync.

speaking of this... is this parametrized ? On a laptop, i wonder if
syncing every 30s while doing ordinary activities (e.g. editing) defeats
completely the disk auto-shutdown routines. Because power failures are
less frequent (i hope!) in that environment, is there any other reason
to have frequent SYNCs ?

	luigi