Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:35:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Reinier.Bezuidenhout@KryptoKom.DE (Reinier Bezuidenhout)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Malloc in the kernel

> If I want to malloc really large space in the kernel, say from
> 2k up to 1M or maybe more .... wat parameter should 'n
> give to malloc ??
>
>  malloc(1000, ????, M_WAITOK);
>
> ? M_DEVBUF
>
> if it is possible :)

It depends on what you intend to use the memory for.

Ideally, you would be prepared to take a page fault, and would
allocate pageable memory backed by swap so that you didn't
exhaust the physical memory in the system.

In general, the kernel is better at deciding what memory it needs
when it needs it than a kernel code author.  You either trust
the locality of reference model upon which VM systems are based,
or you don't.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---