Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 20:15:47 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Doc. Project. Primer, please read and comment

OK, you know how it is.

This was going to be a small, simple tutorial on how to use DocBook with
the Documentation Project, and how the Handbook is built.

It's grown a bit :-)

It's now what I'm calling "The FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer for
Contributors". The idea is that someone comes along to the -doc mailing
list and says "Hi, I'd like to contribute, what can I do?".

We say "Please go and read *this* (or at least, skip those bits you're
comfortable with, read those bits that are new to you). This'll bring you
up to speed on what the Project is, how it works, what we use, enough
SGML to get you started, and information on how the Handbook, FAQ, and
web site are put together. Then go to the Doc. Proj. projects page on
the web site and pick something you like the look of. OK?"

As ever, I need criticisms and contributors.

  - I think the SGML Primer is pretty much complete. Could people please
    read through it and let me know if it's confusing or if the
    information should be reordered or augmented.

  - The Tools section needs fleshing out.

  - The SGML Markup section needs fleshing out. HTML is completely empty;
    I can fill that in later myself, or someone else can do it (please!)

    DocBook is a little disorganised, since I haven't done anything
    with it since I changed the direction of this tutorial. I'll sort
    that out soon.

    LinuxDoc is empty, and will stay that way unless someone writes
    something to go in there. I know next to nothing about the DTD.

  - The FAQ should cover how the FAQ is made, what files make it up, and
    so on. If the FAQmeister could step up to the plate on this one. . .
    (or anyone else for that matter).

  - The Handbook section -- I've got most of the text for this,
    unfortunately it's mixed in with the DocBook section. I'll split it out
    later.

  - The Website. As with the FAQ. At least here I already know how the
    website is put together, and could write this myself if no one wants
    to.

  - Writing style is my own list of do's and don'ts. Please feel free to
    suggest more.

  - Ditto to "Using sgml-mode with Emacs".

  - See also will be pointers to other references. It's pretty empty at
    the moment.

It's at <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/index.html>; (or will be
within a few minutes of this message hitting the lists).

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .