Date:      6 Nov 1998 23:05:20 -0000
From:      mark thompson <thompson@gateway.tgsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   From NTK...

This is from ntknow, which probably is widely read by the members of
hackers, but IMHO it is an idea that should be widely disseminated.
It is just about the most, uhm, *interesting* idea I have seen in a
long while...

                                >> TRACKING <<
                  making good use of the things that we find

         You know how everything in UNIX is supposed to be a file?
         You know Perl lets you do everything you'd ever want to do?
         You know that means, logically, you can return UNIX to its
         pure, pre-Fall state, where everything *is* a file -
         anything you want? So you could, say, chdir to
         "http://www.yahoo.com/", then chdir to all the links on that
         page? And you know that there's only one person insane
         enough to thus let you write your own filing system - in
         Perl? Yes, from the people who brought you the Turing
         Machine using only dd and sh, we roundly announce:
         http://dd.sh/perlfs/
         - next: X-Windows servers using trained cellular automata

--
It may be a pipe to you, but it's a socket to me.
		-- dmr on an imaginary episode of Laugh in

-mark <thompson@tgsoft.com>