Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:47:55 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reading CIS in kernel

Hi all,

I have (foolishly?) embarked on a quest to get my Xircom Ethernet card
working on FreeBSD, by porting the Linux xirc2_ps driver.  Of course this
means that I have to learn both how the Linux driver works and how to write
a FreeBSD/PCMCIA driver...

Anyhow, the Linux code supports a whole raft of different Xircom cards,
which it tells apart by checking various CIS tuples using the Linux Card
Services stuff.  This is (as far as I can tell) all done inside the kernel,
and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing that in FreeBSD, from my
reading of the /sys/pccard code.

So, the question is, how do I parse the CIS from inside a kernel driver?
The only alternative approaches I can think of are to 1)hardwire details of
all the supported cards into the driver, so we can tell what card we have
by reading one magic location in card memory or 2)have the parsing done by
userland code and somehow pass this back down to the driver.  Both of these
seem incredibly ugly to me.

Anyone who answers this, beware -- you'll be letting yourself in for plenty
more questions!

TIA,

	Scott