Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:37:40 +1030
From:      Leigh Hart <hart@at.dotat.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

Hi Alfred,

Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 11:59:38PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > [ Creating /etc/rc.d, populating with scripts to start/stop system
> >   daemons, tweaking /etc/rc* to use these scripts instead ]
>
> > If there are no more comments by Thursday I'll take it as tacit agreement,
> > and go ahead. I'll do sendmail first.
>
> From what i've seen 90% of these scripts wind up being broken
> replacements for 'killall', that would stink.

Agreed.

> If they become something like:
> kill `cat /...../prog.pid`
>
> that would be interesting and potentially useful.

Indeed - nothing worse than killing the wrong program.

> although killall <prog> is usually easier to type than
> /etc/init.d/<prog> kill

And far more dangerous on a production system - and Nik - can
I suggest you also implement the scripts as start|restart|stop
rather than just start|stop as far as arguments go!

Cheers

Leigh
--
| "By the time they had diminished | Leigh Hart, <hart@dotat.com> |
|  from 50 to 8, the other dwarves | Dotat Communications Pty Ltd |