Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:09:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Alden <alden@math.ohio-state.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bridging hints?

Hi,
  I'm planning on using a FreeBSD box as our departmental firewall.  I
just started playing around with it and have a box configured with 2 Intel
EtherExpress 100+ cards, our LAN on one and a workstation (call 'wkstn')
on the other.  I'm trying to learn ipfw, so I setup the FreeBSD box as a
"client" firewall.  I then did:

ipfw add deny tcp from any to wkstn

This works as expected.  But if I try to just turn of certain ports with:

ipfw add deny tcp from any to wkstn 1-1024

it doesn't work as I would expect (it allows me to telnet to the machine).
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  :-)

...thnx,
...dave

ps  I have set net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1.  :-)