Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 04:43:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2k and PC hardware

> > well, i see sept 1st as the point of no return...  what is the first
> > problem date, 9/9/99?
>
> This one is urban legend.
>
> While the "all nines" stop is a time honored tradition in COBOL,
> both the day and the month field are two digits, not one digit,
> and therefore the stop is 99/99/99, which will never happen,
> not " 9/ 9/99".

Are you sure?  I also heard the "9999 flag" thing on the radio last
year, but the date mentioned was in April.  I guess that would
make it the ninety-ninth day of 1999.

I'm almost ready for civilization to collapse to end the Y2K talk.

I've gotten one letter from the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration)
specifically about software issues.  You can guess what it was
about.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval