Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:53:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

As Mike Smith wrote...
> > > Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:
> > >
> > > load: can't find '/mfsroot'
> > >
> > > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> >
> > Hmmmm. OK, over to Mike at this point - I thought it was supposed
> > to find /mfsroot.gz automagically but evidently that's now broken.
> > Sure would be nice if we could just work out whether it's going to
> > be "magic" or not and just stick to it. :)
>
> Make sure that you're using an up-to-date /boot/loader, and then try
> 'ls' on the floppy in question please.

Hi Mike,

/boot/loader is approx 2 days old, built from -current. Is that new enough?

I get:

FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision
(jkh@beast.cdrom.com, Wed Nov 25 16:13:25 GMT 1998)
Memory: 32768 k
/kernel data=0x1e3f40+0x26918 syms=[0x8+0x3f210+0x8+0x25192]
Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:

load: can't find '/mfsroot'

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 8 seconds...

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
disk0a:> ls
ls: open '/' failed: no such file or directory
disk0a:>

/mfsroot.gz is on the floppy, on an UFS filesystem written by FreeBSD/x86:

same floppy as seen from the x86 box:

su-2.01# mount /flop
su-2.01# ls -l /flop
total 1640
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  835517 Dec  5 20:46 mfsroot.gz
su-2.01#

Stupid question: can FreeBSD/axp read FreeBSD/x86 UFS filesystems at all?
UFS was not designed for portability in this respect if I'm not mistaken.

Wilko