Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:17:42 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        dima@best.net, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, des@flood.ping.uio.no, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.local

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 09:06:35PM -0800, Dima Ruban wrote:
> Matthew Dillon writes:
> >     It sounds to me that it wouldn't be too hard to move rc.local's minimal
> >     'default' functionality (the handling of /etc/motd) to /etc/rc and adding
> >     an rc.conf variable to enable it or disable it, defaulted to on.
>
> Yes, it wouldn't be hard to do it, but I don't exactly see a point
> doing it. rc.local is empty and usually it stays empty (or almost empty).

It does? I've rarely worked with a machine that has an empty
rc.local.  What if I want to run MySQL, or Apache, or ftpd in stand
alone mode, or any of the millions of other things that people can
do in rc.local?

I'd say that the common case is that rc.local has custom stuff in
it.

In any event, I know I'm not the only sysadmin that looks for
stuff in rc.local.

-bjc