Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:15:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lew Payne <lewiz@netcom.com>
To:        Dan <dan@falken.netmetrics.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange Network Problem

> 1) Is the ifconfig alias function the proper way to support multiple IPs
> on the same NIC? Other un*x implementations usually require the creation
> of seperate logical sub-devices for each IP. Does this need to be done in
> FreeBSD? Can it be done to provide statistical information on a per-IP
> basis?

Yes.  I have 24 servers all running on various versions of FreeBSD,
and all are configured (and aliased) with ifconfig.  One server in
particular has more than 30 alias IP's, for Apache non-virtual hosts.

> 2) What is the proper netmask for aliased IPs? I have found reasonably
> authoritative references to both 255.255.255.255 and 255.255.255.254 in
> the archives. I would like to clear this up.

Huh?  The proper netmask to use is the netmask which accurately
represents the address block you've been assigned.  You must ASK
what the actual address block is that those other IP's came from,
and set your netmask accordingly.  Setting an arbitrary netmask
is an invitation to disaster.  The broadcast address, computed