Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 00:35:52 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4mm tape drive question

Gary Kline writes:

> 	When I bought my 4mm tape drive in '95, 2GB was a _lot_
> 	of storage; but since I've just added a 9G drive to
> 	my main system, it's time to consider the backups.
>
> 	My question:  can I use a cassette   larger than  90meter
> 	ones I've been using?  (And why?)

Don't know what brand and model 4mm drive you have so we can't answer.
But if you have a DDS-1 drive you are limited to the 60m and 90m tapes.
All but the earliest DDS drives are smart enough to know what tape you
put it, or at least smart enough to know if they were designed to use
the tape you inserted.

120m DDS-2 tapes "only" do a native 4G. But only on DDS-2 drives.

125m DDS-3 tapes do a native 12G. I wonder if these tapes are really 5m
longer than DDS-2 or somebody in marketing just fudged the numbers?

A good solution for now would be to use the -z option in FreeBSD's GNU
tar. You'll get some useful compression if you use tar.

Otherwise partition the drive in chunks small enough to fit on your
tapes in order to enforce a segregation for backup.