Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 10:46:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4mm tape drive question

According to David Kelly:
> Gary Kline writes:
> >

> > 	When I bought my 4mm tape drive in '95, 2GB was a _lot_
> > 	of storage; but since I've just added a 9G drive to
> > 	my main system, it's time to consider the backups.
> >
> > 	My question:  can I use a cassette   larger than  90meter
> > 	ones I've been using?  (And why?)
>
> Don't know what brand and model 4mm drive you have so we can't answer.
> But if you have a DDS-1 drive you are limited to the 60m and 90m tapes.
> All but the earliest DDS drives are smart enough to know what tape you
> put it, or at least smart enough to know if they were designed to use
> the tape you inserted.
>
> 120m DDS-2 tapes "only" do a native 4G. But only on DDS-2 drives.
>
> 125m DDS-3 tapes do a native 12G. I wonder if these tapes are really 5m
> longer than DDS-2 or somebody in marketing just fudged the numbers?
>
> A good solution for now would be to use the -z option in FreeBSD's GNU
> tar. You'll get some useful compression if you use tar.

	I had the box custom built and have prob'ly lost the docs
	after 40+ months, so I'm betting that the 4mm was the cheapest
	(even at $550) that the place could use.

	As for gzip, I've used it (unnecessarily) and recovered everything
	succesfully.

	I need to buy a second tape drive (4mm or 8mm) for sage and
	tar | dd across my net.  ...The good news, of course, is that
	I'm never (?!) going to have 11G of data to backup.

> Otherwise partition the drive in chunks small enough to fit on your
> tapes in order to enforce a segregation for backup.

	I followed Greg L's advice here.  The entire 9G will be /usr.

	gary