Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 20:15:29 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regulated names (was: Crazy Laws)

According to Mark Ovens:
> FWIW, I've always known it as Franglais. I rather suspect that the the
> case is that English speakers call it Franglais and French speakers call
> it Franglish.

I don't agree. Most people I know here call it "franglais".

> In France they have a law that says that all advertising must be in
> French, which creates some rather strange anomalies e.g. English and
> American schools in France must advertise (presumably for English

And you must have a translation (generally as a small footnote) if a
sentence is in a foreign language. We also have quotas for the broadcasting
radios (around 40% of french music) which is pretty ridiculous.

The quotas were introduced by a ministry of culture named « Toubon » which
many people promptly translated into « Allgood » :-)

> speaking pupils) in French :-/. They also made it a condition of
> allowing Disney to build EuroDisney in France that the primary language
> there is French. Now what's the French for French Fries.....

« frite »
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #2: Sun Nov  8 01:22:20 CET 1998