Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 19:27:17 +0200
From:      Jukka Similä <sjuke@saunalahti.fi>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>, Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool, A White Snowy Christmas in Sunnyvale, California 8)

> What I do know is that many European countries have been famous for
> centuries for having some of the best educated populations and for
> fostering some of the greatest periods of intellectual advancement
> (like the Rennaisance) in human history.  Now that we've reached the
> information age, it looks like just about everyone except for perhaps
> Finland has completely dropped the ball.  What's going on over there,

indeed, over 50% of finnish people have their (our) own personal mobile phone,
which works anywhere in the country (and in over 60 countrys over the world,
advertises Sonera,a telecommunications company) - thanks to Nokia & Sonera.
And everybody can read, the percentage is something 99+%.
But- taxes may be as high as 60+%, and budget is something 300 000 000 000 FIM
on red - about -60 000 000 000 USD.

And about phonecalls, local phone charge is about 1$ /hour,
and my internet connection costs that + ~12$ / month. - practically my
net costs are ~ 80$ / 2 months, for 56K modem - that means about 60 hours / 2
months connected to the internet - differs slightly from fulltime connection,
right? - well and I can't even complain about living costs (i'm 17, i live 'at
home' with my parents).

> guys?  You should have wireless, unmetered usage, IP networks covering
> every major city and federal programs where every able-bodied citizen
> over 10 years old gets a state sponsored laptop and a wireless modem.
> Villages of 40 people or more should qualify for free E1 service or
> even more if some percentage of the population is actively engaged in
> software development.  Get Off Your Butts, you EC slackers! :-)
Do you read science fiction? - you should read Isaac Asimov's 'Prelude to
Foundation' - it tells about Universe-wide Empire, that is destroyed because
there is no more research and no knowledge to fix old machines  - gosh,
sometimes I hate this , telling something in english, not knowing a half of
the words and only guessing if everything I write sounds weird, funny or
un-understandable.
Anyway , a lot of things in 'Prelude to Foundation' matches to Europe.
It's interesting.

- Jukka S. <sjuke@saunalahti.fi>