Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:59:09 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do I build an a.out kld?

I find I have to change to klds in a hurry, and have just run across a
number of problems.  I'm running an a.out kernel, which loads ELF klds
quite happily (once you know that there's an undocumented search path,
but that you can win by specifying a full pathname).  The problem is
that there are two versions of gdb, one of which recognizes only a.out
(the kernel), and the other only ELF (the kld).  I appear to have
three choices:

1.  I can build an ELF kernel.  My understanding is that this will
    also require me to install the new style boot blocks.  Correct?
    If so, is there any documentation on what to do here?

2.  I could build an a.out kld.  Unfortunately, there's an
    (undocumented) program called gensetdefs which runs against the
    objects, and expects only ELF files.  It doesn't understand an
    -aout flag.  Can I get past this problem?

3.  I could fix gdb to understand both a.out and ELF formats, but I
    don't think I'll do it today.

Any comments?
Greg