Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:38:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Studded@san.rr.com (Doug)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd + hub + cable modem + nfs help please :-/

Doug wrote,
> 	I recently took the plunge and bought myself a new computer. My plan is
> to make the old computer a firewall/natd/mail server and connect through
> it using the new computer running freebsd sometimes and win 98
> sometimes. To that end I purchased a hub, cables, and a NIC for the new
> computer. The old computer already has a NIC that was connected directly
> to my cable modem.
>
> 	What I want to do is plug all 3 of these items into the hub and have
> them play nicely together. :)  To that end I've wiped the old computer
> clean, installed 2.2.8-R on it, followed all the instructions to set up
> natd, and plugged it and the cable modem into the hub.

Whoa... Wait, let me get this straight. You're going to have the
modem, the 'firewall,' and the new machine all plugged into the hub?
That does not make sense. Your new computer is tied /directly/ to the
outside world through the hub to modem. For the setup you seem to be
interested in, you don't really need a hub; you need another NIC.

You have:

                  [ Hub ]
                   | | |
                  /  |  \
    (ROW)-----Modem  |  New PC
                  Old PC

You want (I think):

    (ROW)-----Old PC--x--New PC

                      ^
                      A cross-over cable.

If you have only one IP assigned by your cable provider, this
situation will get very confusing, very quickly.