Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:28:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Domain must exist"

On Monday, 28 December 1998 at 22:51:34 -0600, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
> Hello, this is my first post here.
>
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE. I have the domain
> whizkidtech.net, so I entered it as my domain. I entered "whizkid" as my host.
>
> Now when I try to send out mail, localhost sends it to
> whizkid.whizkidtech.net. It is then sent to whomever it is addressed to.
> But it is refused because "domain must exist."
>
> Of course, whizkid.whizkidtech.net is not listed on any DNS.
> Whizkidtech.net is, but that is where my web site is, on another system, in
> another state.

Well, that's the reason.

> So how do I tell my system to use whizkidtech.net rather than
> whizkid.whizkidtech.net for outgoing mail.

Find the following lines in /etc/sendmail.cf:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DM

Change it to:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMwhizkidtech.net

> Temporarily, I have changed the hostname to whizkidtech.net in my
> rc.config and my new mail is getting through (although the old mail
> is still stuck in the queue). But that means that two different
> computers in two different states now have the same host name.

Well, no, in fact no computer has that host name:

   $ nslookup
   Default Server:  freebie.lemis.com
   Address:  192.109.197.137

   > set type=any
   > whizkidtech.net
   Server:  freebie.lemis.com
   Address:  192.109.197.137

   Non-authoritative answer:
   whizkidtech.net nameserver = NS85.PAIR.COM
   whizkidtech.net nameserver = NS0.NS0.COM

   whizkidtech.net nameserver = NS85.PAIR.COM
   whizkidtech.net nameserver = NS0.NS0.COM
   NS85.PAIR.COM   internet address = 209.68.1.179
   NS0.NS0.COM     internet address = 209.197.64.1

This means that the domain is known, but there is no system with that
name.

> What do I do???

Get the people at pair.com and nso.com to add MX and A records for
whizkid.whizkidtech.net.  You'll have to tell them your IP address.
You also don't need to change your sendmail.cf in this case.

Greg