Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:48:59 -0500
From:      Fletcher E  Kittredge <fkittred@mail.gwi.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>, Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM WAN interface

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:44:52 +0100 (CET)  Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> You don't have to use up all the 155Mbps - this is just the clock speed,
> and actual VC bandwidth is what they should charge you for - at least this
> is the way we do it in Poland. So, you can have the 155Mpbs ATM
> connection, but an E1 virtual circuit set up as your uplink. Then, your
> provider would do policing on their switches to enforce that speed.

The point would be that with IP over ATM, you pay for 155mb/sec, and
you really get about 110mb/sec.  Pick any speed, you still only get
70% of the listed bandwidth.  So if you buy a ~1.5mb/sec  T1, you are
only going to get a megabit after paying the cell tax, and packet
shredding.

Like X.25, ATM is a dead technlogy pushed only by the phone companies.

regards,
fletcher