Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 01:20:43 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, brdean@unx.sas.com
Subject:   Re: make release (almost)  No space left on device

John W. DeBoskey wrote:

>    In trying to figure out what grew too large... I've started getting
> confused. I modified doFS.sh to print out what is being copied onto
> the floppy... What I find is:
>
> + mount /dev/vn0c /mnt
> + [ -d /R/stage/boot.std ]
> + set -e
> + cd /R/stage/boot.std
> + find . -print
> .
./boot
./boot/boot0
./boot/nb8390.rom
./boot/nb8390.com
./boot/nb3c509.rom
./boot/nb3c509.com
./boot/loader
./boot/fbsdboot.exe
./boot/cdboot
./boot/boot2
./boot/boot1
./boot/rawboot
./boot/boot.conf
./boot/loader.config
./boot.config
./kernel.gz
./boot.help
./kernel.config
+ set -e
> + cd /R/stage/boot.std
> + find+ cpio . -dump -print /mnt
>

> /mnt: write failed, file system is full
> cpio: write error: No space left on device
> *** Error code 1
>

>    Well, cdboot by itself is a major problem.... It seems to me we're not
> putting what we think we are onto the floppy... Either doFS.sh needs to
> be smarter, or someone is starting to populate the boot subdir with
> things that didn't used to be there...
>
>    Comments? Critiques? Helpful clues?

You may need to clean out your /boot directory.  There was a brief
period recently when the old boot code was installed to /boot by
mistake; and a "make world" during that time would have populated it
incorrectly.  (See src/sys/i386/boot/Makefile.inc 1.4.)

--
Robert Nordier