Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:36:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Matt Baker <matt@portal.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Radius & /etc/services

Just got burnt by a easy problem.  that took the most part of the day
to solve (argh)

I was setting up a radius server on a FreeBSD 3.0 box (cistron server)
All worked fine, but couldn't get a Livingston PM3 to talk.
I'ld looked in /etc/services to make sure that entries were in there,
which they were.
Anyway, after alot of stuffing around, I ended up looking at things
with tcpdump and found that the FreeBSD box was refusing connection
to the radius UDP port.
Turns out that FreeBSD 3.0 has the ports defined as:
radius          1812/udp   #RADIUS authentication protocol (RFC 2138)
radacct         1813/udp   #RADIUS accounting protocol (RFC 2139)

where as the Livingston PM3 defaults to using 1645 & 1646
(which I believe many other terminals do also).

Any reason why FreeBSD is defining them as 1812 & 1813?

Matthew.