Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:17:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, abial@nask.pl, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, mike@smith.net.au, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't boot from CD and floppy after make release

Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Bear in mind, though, that you'll need additional 100kB of place on the
> > > floppy (that's approx. the difference between kzip stubs and the
> > > /boot/loader).
> > >
> > > In this light it makes sense to do what rnordier suggested - namely, to
> > > write a small BTX application which would only be able to load kernel.gz.
> > > I _may_ embark on such a project if I have some docs about how to use BTX.
> >
> > If it's likely to be used, I don't mind writing this.  It might make a
> > good example application for the BTX docs I'm trying to write.
>
> It'd definitely be useful for the PicoBSD people, and anyone else that
> didn't need the loader's functionality.  I'd also be interested in
> knowing if you have any compression/decompression tools suitable for
> use with BTX eg. to compress the application data/expand it when BTX
> relocates.

I quite like Jordan's suggestion of kzip'ing the loader.  The
compression is not especially efficient:

    -r-xr-xr-x  1 rnordier  wheel  122880 Jan  3 23:55 loader
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 rnordier  wheel   70760 Jan  8 23:05 loader.kz

but boot1/boot2 don't have a problem with loader.kz.

But maybe this isn't the compression you had in mind (I'm assuming
"when BTX relocates" refers to what the btxldr code does when
unpacking the composite /boot/loader object before invoking the
BTX kernel).

--
Robert Nordier