Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 02:46:47 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ide_pci

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 12:11:51AM -0500, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I know someone has worked on the ide_pci.c file, but it still doesn't work
> on my system. I'm not sure what controller I have because it came on the
> Motherboard, and the documentation doesn't say. I think it is something
> from Acerlabs though. It detects the controller, but says there is no dma
> on the secondary channel (simplex), and then when it gets to the point
> where it finds the drives down in the ISA probing, it doesn't find the
> secondary IDE controller. I have an ATAPI CD-ROM drive there. I would
> appreciate some help, and I would be glad to test patches to this file.
> (ide_pci.c, or any that need changed.)

I was one of the people working on stuff for this board; I got around the
BMISTA_SIMPLEX bug by disabling the check for it, first with

options DISABLE_PCI_IDE

in my config file, then removing the check for it completely. As an added
bonus, I was able to get Ultra DMA at least partially working -- reads work
beautifully, pulling down 13+ MB/s from my Seagate Medalist Pro 9140, but
writes were kinda recalcitrant, and I think that may have been because I
overclocked the PCI bus on my board -- I need to test it at 33 MHz. I can't
work on this seriously anymore because I've since returned the board to its
rightful owner (who was letting me borrow it indefinitely), and now have a
VIA-based Super7 board (Soyo SY-5EHM).

I'll put the patches for the Acer chipset on my webpage. I NEED TESTERS FOR
THE UDMA. They'll be available at

http://st-lcremean.tidalwave.net/~lee/acer-udma.tar.gz